- ANTIQUE & ESTATE JEWELRY
- All Jewelry Selection
- Antique Jewelry
- Antique Bracelets
- Antique Earrings
- Antique Engagement Rings
- Antique Rings
- Estate Earrings
- Estate Jewelry
- Estate Rings
- Antique & Estate Necklaces
- Antique & Estate Pendants
- Antique & Estate Pins
- Vintage Cufflinks
- Cartier, V.C.A., Bvlgari & More Signed Jewelry
- Tiffany Estate Jewelry
- Wedding Rings
- Related Links
Home > Caring Of Jewelry
Caring Of Jewelry
It is important to take proper care of jewelry, whether it is Antique or Contemporary. In many instances, costly damage can be avoided if certain general guidelines are followed.
1. Examine each piece carefully to be sure that the stones are Secure, and mountings and clasps are intact before cleaning.
2. Foiled back stones and emeralds need special care. They should never be cleaned In commercial solutions or ultrasonic machines. They are best cleaned by a professional.
3. You should clean only one piece of jewelry at a time, even hard stones like diamonds can be scratched.
4. Always be sure to have the drain plugged before cleaning jewelry in or near a sink.
5. Be sure to dry each piece of jewelry thoroughly prior to storing.
6. Store each piece separately; Diamonds and other hard stones: Rubies, sapphires, topazes, amethysts and quartz can be cleaned in the same manner. Either in commercial jewelry cleaner or in a homemade solution consisting of one cup of warm water, two tablespoons of dishwashing liquid and one teaspoon of ammonia. The item should soak for fifteen seconds, scrubbed with a soft toothbrush, and dried with a soft lint free cloth. An ultra sonic cleaner can be used for hard stones.
Pearls : Pearls should be wiped with a soft dry cloth after every wearing. Do not use an ultrasonic cleaner on pearls; never get hair spray or perfume on pearls. Pearls should be cleaned professionally and restrung periodically.
Enamels: Enameled jewelry can be cleaned with a soft lint free dry cloth. NEVER use ultra sonic cleaner or jewelry polish on enamel.
Gold and Silver: Gold, Silver and platinum jewelry without stones can be cleaned in Commercial jewelry cleaners and polishes. If the piece is not fragile, ultrasonic cleaner can be used. Filigree jewelry requires more care.